Wailua River Cruise & Fern Grotto Tour
YOU ARE ATTENDING THE LUAU, you will be able to spend time strolling
the garden before the luau and do not need to add the Garden Stroll to
your purchase. If you would like to go to the Garden in the morning or
early mid-day and are attending the luau then you would need to purchase
the Garden Stroll.
Enjoy a tranquil boat cruise on Kauai’s Wailua River, the only navigable river in all of Hawaii. The river is fed by Mt. Wai'ale'ale, one of the wettest spots in the world. During the two-mile journey upstream you’ll hear songs and stories of the old Hawaii. You can also participate in a hula lesson.
The spacious, open-air boat provides excellent views from either side. Beautiful mangrove trees line the river’s banks. The highlight of the tour is Fern Grotto, a fern-covered lava cave. Once you reach the Fern Grotto landing, you’ll enjoy a short nature walk through a beautiful rainforest to the lush Fern Grotto.
The grotto is one of Kauai’s geological wonders. Formed millions of years ago, colorful tropical plants grow all over the cave, which is also known for its excellent interior acoustics.
- Enjoy Smith’s famous Wailua River boat cruise
- Only river boat cruise in all of Hawaii
- Spacious open-air boat provides excellent views from either side
- Hear songs and stories of the old Hawaii
- Participate in hula dancing
- Enjoy a short nature walk through the rainforest to the lush Fern Grotto
planning on going to Smith's Luau but still want to see the amazing
garden grounds? Purchase a Garden Stroll admission by its self or add
it on to your Fern Grotto Cruise. The Tropical Paradise is open daily
from 8:30 am to 3:00pm. If you are attending the luau you will have
time to go through the gardens and grounds once you check in for the
- Where and When:
- Smith's Tropical Paradise and the Fern Grotto tour are located in the Wailua Marina State Park on the east side of the island. Once youve turned off the highway, just follow the drive all the way back to the parking area. Arrive at the dock at Wailua Marina 15 minutes before departure for river cruise check in. The Garden Stroll (if guest purchased that option) is open from 8:30am to 3:00pm.
Wailua Marina State Park, Located at 3-5971 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa, HI 96746 View Map
- Vessel is not ADA accessible.
- Special Notes:
- Boat tours depart daily from the Wailua Marina State Park at 9:30 am, 11:00 am, 2:00 pm and 3:30 pm. Check-in is 15 minutes prior to chosen tour time.
- Operation Days:
- 1.5 hour river tour. Garden open from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm
- Smith's Tropical Paradise Luau
- Spacious, open-air boat is powered by an ingenious rear-engine system invented by Walter Smith, Sr.